Praise for My Books


"Manreet Sodhi Someshwar is a gifted writer of great promise. I have a gut feeling we have a new star rising in Punjab's literary horizon. She has an excellent command of English and a sly sense of humour."
- Khushwant Singh on The Long Walk Home

"An enjoyable tale of a sassy girl's headlong race up the corporate ladder."
- India Today on Earning the Laundry Stripes


Friday 18 November 2016

A ditty to my Park in Fall


I thought I'd write an ode
To the red maple,
Its red hair, yellow brow, green chin
Walnut trunk that such colours hid.

Then I sighted the pin oak
that did show me 
all those colours 
in a single leaf!

The Northern oak 
in bright Fall light,
is a web 
of spun gold.

What is happening?
My head spins -
I see a painter's palette
Where there used to be green.

This is Fall, I remind myself;
you know, when leaves fall from trees?
But they don't just fall -
They pirouette and spin and twirl. 

And smack me, occasionally,
on the cheek.

Fall is old age, right?
Remind me, 
isn't this supposed to be decay and rot and -- 
time to leave?

Oh, I don't know anything, 
it seems.
This beauty, 
this gorgeous letting go ...

In such a rainbow of surrender,
I too, some day, would like to go!

© Manreet Sodhi Someshwar

No comments:

Post a Comment